Skip to main content

Summer Survival Tips for Mom

Summer is here and so are all the things that come with it! Swim lessons, t-ball, summer camps, vacations, birthday parties, family reunions,
a house full of strange kids, and the list go on!

Summer is an exciting time but it doesn't come without a price.  During the school year while the kiddos are away we as mothers work whether at home or for a company. Summer vacation tends to upset our regular schedule by having to adjust our duties in accordance with our children.

Here are a few summer survival tips that have worked for me and other moms I know:

Get prepared! Plan ahead and be prepared for summer vacation have an organized schedule of activities for your kiddos to do, in order to keep them busy and limiting interruptions. Also, plan your summer meals ahead as well. Plan for easy summer meals such as hot dogs and burgers that can be cooked on top of the stove or outside on the grill. Why even bother using that scorching oven this summer!

Don't stress! Easier said than done right? But the number one key to surviving your summer is making time for yourself in order to regroup; and prepare for another day! Whether this is during nap time (if you have younger kiddos), after bedtime or in the morning before everyone is awake. I myself enjoy the morning quiet time the best. There is nothing like getting out of bed, making a cup of green tea, sitting on my couch, and listening to the sound of NOTHING!!! It's truly amazing. The morning time break allows you to prepare for your day; while the bedtime break allows you to wind down from your day. Either is just as effective!

Bedtimes still exist! Just because it is summer does not mean that all rules should be thrown out the window! Bedtimes can be extended a bit, but I wouldn't extend them too far.  Children (and adults) are use to a certain routine or habit, should that be changed it will make it difficult to readjust come the fall when school is back in session.

Family time! Summers can be extremely busy and overwhelming. Be sure to make time to still have dinner as a family, family outings and innings (at home family nights).

Kid-proof your house! Summer is all about kids hanging out and spending time together. The majority of this time is spent at mom's house.  Be sure to keep this in mind when selecting your summer decoration or your year-round decor.  It may be a good idea to place great-grandma's antique clock up high, and roll up that beautiful throw rug that was not purchased with muddy footprints in mind!

Mom-aid kit! I carry a first-aid kit in my car year-round. But during the summer I add a few things to my kit and renamed it my "mom-aid" kit.  Purchase an adequate size container or eco-friendly tote bag and fill it with extra flip-flops, swimsuits, sunblock, lip balm, lotion, blanket, a couple of towels, bug spray, and any other items you think may be of use when you are out about this summer! A couple of folding chairs and umbrella (sun blocker) wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Please remember your sunblock!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And Baby Makes 3

I think back to when my 5 year old was first born. I must say it was truly a special time, saturated with some new experience daily. I can recall the very first night of her arrival; she slept through the entire night! I remember thinking, "Wow this is going to be a breeze!” Yeah, well definitely not the case. The next night...and every night thereafter, my sleep had become more like random spurts of unconsciousness. My husband (then boyfriend) and I were so sleep deprived that we envied the rest of the world, knowing they were nestled snuggly in their beds; while we took turns changing diapers and feeding our newborn. Truth be told, I even resented my husband at times as I would look over and see him sleeping so soundly! My husband and I have this unspoken game (I like to call it “sleep roulette”) in which we pretend to be in such a deep sleep, that we do not hear our daughter’s crying. That way, the other parent will get up and change a diaper, make a bottle, or give a glass o

Holiday Crafts for the Kiddos!

Okay,  so it's winter break and your kids are thrilled to be home ... how are you doing? Check out some of these fun, easy and even yummy holiday ideas that I found from parents.com awesome website! Parents.com says "This  holiday  season, decorate your home with these fun and easy  Christmas  crafts. Your kids will love adorning the tree with handmade ornaments, dressing up your front door with a creative wreath, and giving cute DIY gifts to loved ones." Click on the active links above for shortcuts to their crafts! Also, be sure to share your finished products with us! Happy Holidays! Resource: parents.com

Moms Insite Rebranding!!!

Hey Insiters, Today marks the first day of Moms Insite Rebranding and Remodeling!! We have so many new and great things in store for our fabulous readers and viewers! To get all the newness please subscribe and you will be alerted when a new post drops. Giveaways, a beauty column, fashion advice, toy reviews, and so much more!!!   Thanks, Catrina Shiona